This article reviews the recommended settings for Zoom rooms and considerations for changing them for a meeting.
Visit Zoom's Help Center to view all available articles and videos.
The "Host" and "Participant" on/off toggles determine if the video will be initialized automatically upon joining a room. We recommend leaving these in the "OFF" position to give attendees time to prepare their environment before enabling their video.
It is recommend that you leave "Both" selected for the audio options. This will allow users to choose if they will use their computer or call in on the phone (with the number provided during the meeting) to connect to the room audio.
- Require meeting password - This setting allows you to set a custom password that participants will need to enter to join the meeting. We do not recommend using passwords. Under normal circumstances, passwords should not be needed since participants need to know the unique meeting URL in order to join a meeting.
- Enable join before host - Enabling this setting will allow participants to join the meeting before the host (instructor) joins the meeting. We recommend leaving this setting enabled so students can join the meeting early and make sure everything is working correctly. Without this setting enabled, students will see a message informing them that the host has not yet joined the meeting.
- Mute participant upon entry - This setting mutes participants as they join the meeting. We recommend keeping this setting enabled to prevent interference. Without this setting enable, participants will join the session with a live microphone.
- Personal Meeting ID - Please ignore this number.
- Enable waiting room - The waiting room is a virtual area where participants are held outside the meeting room. We do NOT recommend using this feature except for meeting one-on-one students. When enabled, the host (instructor) needs to grant each participant access to the room as they arrive.
- Record the meeting automatically in the cloud - Enabling this setting will automatically start the recording immediately upon meeting start. This may not be ideal because it will capture any wait time before you actually begin the meeting. It's recommended that you manually begin and end the recording inside the Zoom room.