When you have a single meeting or event for a specific purpose, it’s best to create a fixed, scheduled meeting for it. Using Zoom for an academic course? See the Creating a Recurring Zoom Meeting for Academic Courses article instead.
To create your meeting, access KU’s Zoom portal at www.kutztown.us. Please make sure you are using KU’s Zoom portal. If you are not logging in with KU Single Sign On (KU username and password), you are not accessing KU’s Zoom instance. Click "Sign In."
If prompted, sign in to Zoom using your KU username and password. If you are already signed in to another KU tool (email, D2L) you will likely bypass this step.
To start setting up your first course meeting, navigate to “Meetings” in the left navigation menu and then click “Schedule a Meeting.”
Provide a topic name. You can enter a description (optional). However, participants will not see this field.
Enter the date and time for you meeting. Then set the duration. If this is a recurring meeting, you can select the “Recurring meeting” option. Learn more about recurring meetings.
Determine if you will require registration to attend the meeting. Learn more about meeting registration.
Leave the Meeting ID to “Generate Automatically.”
- Passcode – Passcodes provide an additional layer of security for your Zoom meeting. The passcode will become part of the invite link that you share with attendees so attendees will not need to know the assigned passcode.
- Waiting Room – This option allows hosts to control when participants join the meeting by placing them in a virtual waiting room prior to entering the meeting. Be sure to review your personal waiting room settings.
**Effective September 27, Zoom will require all meetings have either a Passcode or Waiting Room. Check to see if your meetings are configured for the new security requirements.**
The recommended settings for video (host and participant) is off. This will prevent users from coming into the meeting with a live web camera and allows attendees time to prepare their environment before enabling their video within the meeting.
The recommended setting for audio is “Both.” This will allow participants to choose if they want to use their computer audio (preferred) or call in on the phone. Participants will be provided call-in information inside the meeting.
- Enable join before host – This setting controls whether participants are able to join the meeting room before the host arrives. The recommended setting is off.
- Mute participants upon entry – This setting controls attendee microphones upon entry. The recommended setting is enabled to prevent interference. Without this setting enabled, participants will join the session with a live microphone.
- Only authenticated users can join – This setting controls who can join the meeting. The available authentication profiles are below. Please choose the one that best suits the needs for your meeting or event.
- KU, Faculty, Staff, and Students (recommended)
- KU Faculty and Staff (recommended)
- KU Faculty, Staff, Students, and other PASSHE Schools (recommended for events with PASSHE)
- Any User with Zoom Login (This is the least secure setting. Recommended only when necessary for outside attendees.)
- Automatically record meeting – It is recommended that you manually begin and end the recording within your meeting. If you choose to record your meeting automatically, decide if you will wish record locally or to the cloud. Cloud recording is recommended for easy sharing.
Enter the email address for any alternative hosts for the meeting. Students cannot be assigned alternative hosts.
Click “Save” to create the meeting. A confirmation screen with your meeting details will appear.
The "Invite Link" in the middle of the confirmation screen is the link you need to share with meeting participants.